Now Hiring!Immediate Openings View Job Openings!
Fire Prevention Tips Every Homeowner Should Know Before Turning On Their Furnace
There is something about the colder months and curling up with a good book by the fireplace. But did you know that heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths? Getzschman Heating & Cooling wants to share these safety tips and precautions from the National Fire Protection Association with Omaha area homeowners.
Be Warm and Safe This Winter
- Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable space heater.
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Have chimneys and heating equipment inspected and cleaned every year by a qualified professional.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
Do you want to ensure that your heating equipment is operating safely this year? Give the G-Force team a call, at 402-721-6301, and schedule a furnace tune-up today.