G-Force’s Tips to Keeping Your Home Cooler This Summer
Summer has (un)officially kicked off, meaning the hot humid air is starting to creep into the Omaha area. But that doesn’t mean you can’t keep it from creeping into your home. While we are glad to say so long to winter’s bite, once our homes start heating up, things get uncomfortable, and fast. If you follow Getzschman Heating & Cooling’s four steps to keep warm air from creeping into your home this season, you’ll be much happier with the comfort level of your home, and your energy bills.
Use Your Windows
- Turn off your AC system and open your windows when the air cools down at night. In the morning, close the windows and blinds to capture the cool night air inside, and to keep the sun’s warm rays from heating up your home throughout the rest of the day.
- Add light colored opaque window coverings on your windows to decrease heat gain through your windows, as well as to reflect the sun’s rays.
Use Your Thermostat Effectively
- Try and keep your thermostat set as high as you’re comfortable with during the summer months. For the highest amount of savings, keep the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures as close as you can stand.
- Use your programmable thermostat to your advantage. You can create different settings for different parts of the day. Keep your house warmer than usual when you are away, and lower the thermostat setting back to a more comfortable level only when you are at home and need the cooler air.
- Don’t do this; turn the dial on your thermostat to an extremely cool temperature in hopes that it will cool your home more quickly. It won’t, but it will make your air conditioner work harder than it needs to, costing you more dollars.
Related Read: Getzschman’s AIr Conditioning Guide for Dummies
Keep Your AC System Efficient
- Simple steps, like changing dirty air filters regularly, can help. Filthy filters make it harder for your system to distribute air, meaning it has to use more energy (and money) to do its job of keeping you comfortable.
- Schedule regular maintenance, like air conditioner tune-ups, before the sweltering summer comes to its peak. It will keep your system healthy and will reduce the chance of breakdowns.
- Keep heat emitting lights or other appliances away from your thermostat. They can confuse your system into thinking it’s warmer than it actually is in your home.
Minimize Heat Factors
- Use common sense when it’s really hot outside. Avoid using the oven or taking long hot showers.
- Replace flourescent light bulbs with LED and energy efficient alternative bulbs. These emit less heat, and save you money on your bills. Plus they last a lot longer!
- Stay clear of activities that generate heat. Things like running a computer, burning open flames, running a dishwasher or clothes washer or dryer, and using hot devices such as curling irons or hair dryers all create enough heat to offset your AC system.
Call Getzschman Heating & Cooling this spring and summer to help you keep the heat from creeping in. We handle all air conditioner repairs in Omaha homes, and have great maintenance plans. Call us at (402) 721-6301 today.